Location: Wilmington, North Carolina
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses / Physician Assistants
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
An Advanced Practice Provider (APP) functions as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentialing committee to provide high quality, cost effective care to patients within the APPs scope of practice in collaboration with a supervising physician. The APP reflects the mission, vision, and values of the organization, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and other regulatory and accreditation standards.
1. Clinical- Obtains relevant health and medical history, performs thorough physical assessment, reviews and interprets pertinent diagnostic tests/results. Develops appropriate differential diagnoses. Develops and implements treatment plans including prescribing/ordering of appropriate evidence-based pharmacological agents consistent with departmental guidelines and privileging, and schedules appropriate follow-up management. Actively incorporates evidence-based hospital initiatives to improve patient care. Conducts preventive health screening based on age, history and patient needs. Maintains clear comprehensive yet concise records of all aspects of patient care. Maintains essential knowledge of general disease and pathologic processes. Maintains extensive knowledge of their specialty literature including awareness of developing areas. Consistently derives correct diagnoses through synthesis of clinical data and proper selection and interpretation of diagnostic studies. Develops comprehensive differential diagnoses for patients. Revises the plan of care to meet the changing needs of the patient. Prioritizes work and assists staff to provide prompt and efficient client flow. Consistently maintains high productivity according to identified standards. Leads/participates in projects to improve productivity. Appropriately performs medical procedures consistent with departmental guidelines, privileging, and clinical roles/responsibilities.
2. Education- Appropriately and professionally educates clients and/or families regarding medical condition, treatment, and follow-up. Collaborates with clinicians, staff, and students to promote continuity and patient/family centered care. Develops educational materials based on learning needs of clinicians, staff, and students. Provide education/instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students. Actively recognizes and participates in identification and achievement of self-learning needs. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs.
3. Leadership- Provides instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students including but not limited to precepting, shadowing, lectures, training classes, CE, rounds, morning report, and or staff meetings. Participates in community/network outreach programs. Develops/leads community/network outreach programs. Demonstrates both an understanding of the contexts and system in which healthcare is provided and the ability to apply this knowledge to improve and optimize health care delivery. Leads/participates in systems improvements.
4. Professionalism- Interacts with patients and families in a respectful, courteous and timely fashion using appropriate communication for the patient and situation. Interacts collaboratively with coworkers, other team members and staff in a respectful, courteous, and timely fashion appropriate to patient care needs and situations. Responds quickly to meet customer needs and resolve problems. Accepts responsibility for outcomes of one?s work. Shares responsibility for overall workload with team members.
5. Quality/Research- Engages in daily continuous quality improvement by identifying and implementing processes for improvement. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Leads interdisciplinary teams to provide integrated delivery of patient care services. Initiates and revises protocol(s) or guideline(s) to reflect evidence-based changes in care management Works to influence policy-making bodies to improve patient care. Develops new clinical programs or services within the department/unit/clinic to improve patient care.
A. Evaluates, plans, manages, and implements direct medical patient care. Acquires patient history and performs physical examination. Establishes differential diagnosis and institutes diagnostic workup to confirm diagnosis. Performs invasive procedures, including lumbar puncture and circumcisions.
B. Clinical responsibilities primarily include admission, subsequent care and discharge of newborns and pediatric inpatients through age 18-21 years. Responsibilities also include Emergency department consultation and surgical co-management while working in conjunction with a pediatric hospitalist physician and a team of medical students and family medicine residents.
C. Writes orders for tests, procedures, and implementation and management of therapies in accord with standards.
D. Documents clearly and effectively in patients EMR.
E. Provides parents (and other family members) with information regarding the patient's physiologic/developmental status and needs and psychological support on a continuous basis that is congruent with the multi-disciplinary health care team objectives.
F. Collaborates with clinicians, staff, and students to promote continuity and family centered care.
G. Participates in the education of nursing staff, nurse practitioner or PA students, and other providers in the planning for and performance of continuing education and research on the unit. Includes self-directed continuing re-education.
H. Assists the Medical Director, Head Nurses, Nurse Educator (s), and Discharge Coordinators in the development and evaluation of standards of care, unit objectives, patient care programs, and continuing education programs.
I. Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
J. Exemplifies professional relations and demonstrates leadership within the Center.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive.
Other information:Licensure/Certification Requirements:
* Completion of an accredited graduate-level Advanced Practice Provider (APRN or PA) program.
* Licensed as an Advanced Practice Provider (i.e., Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, Certified Nurse Midwife) in the state of North Carolina. Board certification if required by the Department.
* The incumbent must maintain a current North Carolina licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse (RN). Exceptions may be allowed for nurse practitioners approved prior to January 8, 1981 (see Subchapter 32E.003 of Regulations regarding Approval of Registered Nurse Performing Medical Acts).Professional Experience Requirements:
* No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
- Pediatric hospital medicine experience preferred but not required.
* Demonstrated clinical competency. Effective leadership skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Demonstrated written and verbal communication and strong analytical skills. Effective interaction to ensure the successful care of patients in the clinical setting. Documentation in the medical record to substantiate accurate billing.
An average of 40 hours/week duty time will be maintained over any given scheduling period. Working schedule may be changed as clinical needs dictate.
LEVELS OF SUPERVISION REQUIRED
The practitioner should be able to function independently as defined in the job description.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNCFP Peds Wilmington PR
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Wilmington
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email email@example.com if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.