Location: Boardman, Ohio
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
36 hours per week
The Dedicated Transport Nurse provides to individuals and groups, nursing care requiring specialized knowledge, judgment and skill derived from the principles of biological, physical, behavioral, social, and nursing sciences and assesses, plans, implements, evaluates and directs care for premature, neonatal, pediatric and adult patients during transport, in accordance with departmental standards of care and practice. Compliance with Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems (CAMTS) standards required.
- Provides to individuals and groups, nursing care requiring specialized knowledge, judgment and skill derived from the principles of biological, physical, behavioral, social and nursing sciences.
- Assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and directs care for premature, neonatal, pediatric and adult patients during transport in accordance with departmental standards of care and practice.
- Participates in the education of referral staff, patients, parents and Akron Children's Hospital staff.
- Provides care when temporarily dispatched to an area throughout the Akron Children's Hospital Mahoning Valley campus to task and assist, based on patient needs, that require similar knowledge and skill.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psychological, social, educational and safety needs of the patients served, regardless of age.
- Checks all transport equipment daily and logs check completion on appropriate forms.
- Maintains all equipment in proper working order.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience in critical care is required. Critical care experience is defined as no less than 3 years or 4,000 hours, as defined by CAMTS, that must be part of an academic or tertiary care center (includes Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Emergency Department (ED), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) or Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
- Experience in burn care is preferred.
- Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
- Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is preferred. Electronic health record software used for inpatient care and specialized electronic health record software used for transport is preferred.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing [BSN] is required.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Ohio is required.
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Heart Code support certification (BLS)* (required upon hire).
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (EMT-B) are required by first anniversary of date of hire.
- Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Labs, Emotional Support (STABLE), Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS) and Pediatric Fundamentals of Critical Care Support (PFCCS) - certifications are required by first anniversary of date of hire.
- Nursing Specialty Certification such as Certified Flight Registered Nurse (CFRN), Certified Transport Registered Nurse (CTRN), or Certified Neonatal/Pediatric Transport (C-NPT), is required by second anniversary of date of hire.
4. Years of experience: 3 years is required (see definition of critical care experience listed above).
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: