Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
The Emergency Department at Banner University Medical Center Tucson campus is a 61 bed unit serving as a Level 1 Trauma Center. Our ED sees around 80,000 patients per year! We have been nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Come and join our team!
As a Senior Emergency Department Technician (Paramedic) you will have the opportunity to use your experience and skills in a patient population that consists of newborn to geriatrics.
The schedule is 3 - 12 hour shifts / week, 7am-7:30pm. Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable. The Arizona Paramedic certification is required, as well as BLS, ACLS and PALS.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing patient assessments, treatments, and medications within scope of training. Position receives general supervision from RN, APN, PA, or Physician in providing patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Evaluates acuity level of patients and insures appropriate matching of patients care needs to unit and hospital resources. Demonstrates the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their specific needs.
2. Performs basic patient care appropriately within scope of training: positioning, transportation, phlebotomy, ECGs, splinting, maintenance of spinal precautions. Administers or monitors medications when indicated and as ordered by a physician. Such medications are limited to those approved for administration and/or monitoring by a paramedic in the State of practice. Assists patient in transfer using proper body mechanics and transfer techniques. Starts peripheral intravenous lines, including external jugular lines, initiates infusion, and maintains and adjusts fluid administration per physician order.
3. Performs cardio-vascular monitoring and management within scope of training.
4. Performs invasive and non-invasive airway management within scope of training examples: oxygen administration, tracheal suctioning, assisted ventilation, positioning, end-tidal CO2 and pulse-ox monitoring.
5. Monitors (does not initiate) the infusion of blood and blood products for rate and patient response.
6. Actively participates in the resuscitation of critical patients as assigned. Observes and monitors patients through the diagnostic phase of treatment.
7. Recognizes changes in patient status that requires notification of charge or primary nurse and physician. Keeps ED charge or primary nurse informed of patient status and current activities. Alerts responsible physician to changes in patient status. Documents assessment and reassessments within unit guidelines on appropriate documentation forms. Documents the incorporation of assessment findings and appropriate standards statement to support desired Patient Outcomes. Documents patient progress toward outcomes and responses to interventions / therapeutic modalities example: Response to pain medication. Documents the discharge plan of care and services consulted during patient visit.
8. Provides leadership in the development and evaluation of the unit orientation and preceptor program. Actively promotes the development of clinical and professional skills of staff members by role modeling, teaching and validating competencies. Maintain a safe environment for patients and co-workers.
9. Works independently to provide excellent patient care. Internal customers include patients, ED leadership, clinical personnel, nursing staff, and physicians. External customers may include patient family members and ambulance agencies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Current paramedic certification or licensure in state of practice is required, and current BLS, ACLS and PALS certifications are required.
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care within the established scope of practice. Knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to their age specific needs. Knowledge of and adherence to appropriate infection control policies and procedures.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.