Great careers are built at Banner Health. We understand that talented health care professionals appreciate having options. We are proud to offer our team members many career and lifestyle choices throughout our network of facilities. Apply today, this could be the perfect opportunity for you
Join our Pediatric ECMO program at Banner Children's and be a part of our amazing team of professionals. Our pediatric ECMO team supports neonatal and pediatric ECMO Patients. Our team consists of trained respiratory therapists and registered nurses. The ECMO program is supported by 2 neonatal perfusionists. The pediatric ECMO team supports a growing pediatric cardiac program as well as a growing pediatric intensive care unit.
As the ECMO Navigator Oversees ECMO Program general operations in collaboration with ECMO Medical staff, Leadership, including, but not limited to, program coordination, quality monitoring, education, and competency validation. Institutes and participates in quality and safety initiatives to identify problem areas and research concerns. Develops solutions and ensures performance improvement initiatives are up to date and in compliance with ELSO guidelines and recommendations. Plans, develops, implements, coordinates, evaluates, and administers the care provided to the ECMO patient. Provides leadership to a multidisciplinary staff to ensure that all individuals are capitalizing on their strengths to meet the short- and long-term professional and program goals while supporting the mission and vision of the organization.
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position, Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Coordinator, provides operational management and oversight of patient care activities for the program, ensures staff follows department policies and procedures, revises clinical policies and procedures when appropriate, and shares the responsibility for maintaining the quality of ECMO services. The ECMO Coordinator works closely with the ECMO Specialists, Perfusionists, Physicians, Nurses, and Respiratory Therapists within the critical care areas from the time a patient is placed on ECMO until discharge. This position also has accountability for coordination of activities including, but not limited to, patient education, staff education, surgical coordination, and data collection.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Manages individual patients across the healthcare continuum to achieve optimal clinical, financial, operational and patient satisfaction outcomes. Collaborates effectively with the interdisciplinary team to plan and implement the patient's treatment plan utilizing effective oral and written communication. Provides pre/post-operative and/or procedural education to patients and families in collaboration with ECMO specialist in preparation for discharge from the hospital.
2. Participates in the clinical consultation and guidance for patient selection based on ELSO guidelines. Coordinate day-to-day operations of the ECMO program and serves as a resource, while assuring all performance standards of staff are met.
3. Participates in the program's quality assurance measures. Evaluates current processes, identifies need for change and implements change via process improvement guidelines to achieve optimal clinical, financial, operational and satisfaction outcomes. Acts as a change agent by continually monitoring processes of the program to identify opportunities for improvement. Implements change through the multi-disciplinary work group. Assists in the development of policies and procedures for the delivery of care to this patient population.
4. Teach, precept, and mentor ECMO specialists in all aspects of orientation, continuing education, and clinical competency validation in accordance with ELSO guidelines for ECMO Specialists, nursing staff, respiratory therapy staff, medical staff, allied health professionals and ancillary services. Ensures that policies and procedures, orders sets, educational materials, and data monitoring are accurate and current.
5. Collaborate with the ECMO operational team on an ongoing basis. Initiating and participating in quality and safety initiatives to identify problem areas, research concerns, and develop positive solutions, and ensure performance improvement initiatives are up to date and in compliance with ELSO guidelines and recommendations. Maintains the ECMO services at the "Center of Excellence Award" requirement levels as established by ELSO.
6. Completes a prompt review of each ECMO case to assess any quality, safety, equipment, clinical or staffing concerns and then address and rectify.
7. Conduct, coordinate, and support clinical research projects. Assist in the collection and review of clinical data to evaluate the ECMO program. Responsible for maintaining/assisting with related databases, software and programs. Participation in state-wide collaboration efforts and representation in national professional organizations.
8. Serve as a liaison between departments and facilities, meeting regularly with management of other hospital departments/facilities to facilitate a well-coordinated program of care for all ECMO patients. Assists with maintaining the supplies, equipment and managing the shared budget for the ECMO program.
9. The incumbent will provide direct patient care and interact with the OR and intensive care unit personnel on a daily basis including surgeons, Intensivists, ECMO specialists, and support staff. The incumbent will coordinate services amongst CT Surgery, Intensivists, operating room personnel, ECMO specialists, and leadership. As ECMO coordinator, the incumbent will interact and coordinate ECMO evaluation and support amongst caregivers in assigned departments depending on area of support. This may include the OR, PICU, NICU, and Adult ICU. Internal customers include patients, families, physicians, the interdisciplinary team, management, nursing and medical staff, and other members of the hospital interdisciplinary health care team. External customers include referring physicians and office staff, laboratories, third party payers, pharmacies, community agencies, provider networks, and regulatory agencies.
For Pediatric ECMO: Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through a bachelor's degree in a biological science such as nursing, anatomy, biology chemistry, respiratory, etc. Requires three years clinical experience; at least two of those years in the clinical specialty area. Must demonstrate clinical proficiency in the care of a pediatric ECMO patient.
For Pediatric ECMO: Arizona licensed registered nurse, registered respiratory therapist, or certified perfusionist.
Must demonstrate problem-solving abilities, effective oral and written communication skills, and time management skills. Strong knowledge of quality improvement methodology, leadership and decision-making skills Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team format. Requires ability to proofread and verify documents for accuracy on a daily basis. Requires ability to use a keyboard to enter and transform words or data on a daily basis. Requires ability to monitor video display terminal to receive, retrieve, and/or audit information and data on a daily basis. Requires effective human relations and communications skills. Ability to identify and address customer needs in a team environment. Requires analytical and conceptual systems thinking.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R27154
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.