Under the general supervision of the Clinical Coordinator Lactation & Childbirth Education or as assigned, is responsible for coordinating, planning, creating written materials for, implementing, and assessing the breastfeeding program for nursing services. Includes appropriate orientation of the program to all new nursing service employees. Promotes breastfeeding classes, and establishes breastfeeding support groups.
1. Provides breastfeeding information and education to postpartum and ante partum patients, and assists mothers in resolving problems related to breastfeeding through individual consults. Promotes breastfeeding throughout the hospital, by means of but not limited to, in-services to staff; production and distribution of appropriate literature to patients and staff; and development of protocols. Orients new nursing employees regarding basic breastfeeding and problem solving techniques to be taught to mothers.
2. Assesses staff development needs relative to breastfeeding knowledge and support, and prepares staff in first line lactation education and support techniques.
3. Reviews and makes available written materials for patients and staff regarding breastfeeding instructions, both introductory and discharge.
4. Makes regular rounds on breastfeeding mother on nursing units and is available for individual consults throughout the hospital.
5. Conducts regular breastfeeding classes for patients.
6. Maintains a breastfeeding hotline for patients with answering machine available, so that patients who have been discharged can get timely responses to their queries and makes follow-up calls to discharged breastfeeding mothers at scheduled intervals.
7. Continues to strive for consistency of teaching and care relative to breastfeeding mothers by staff nurses, certified nurse midwives, and physicians (obstetric and pediatric).
Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
2. BSN or 2 or more years of current equivalent experience.
3. Licensed to practice as a registered nurse by the state of Michigan.
4. Certification by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (I.B.L.C.E.).
5. Minimum of 5 years experience working with postpartum and ante partum patients and their infants.
1. An in-depth knowledge of breastfeeding techniques and literature in order to instruct students, develop programs, and assess progress.
2. Analytical ability in order to analyze the program, review progress, determine patients and students' needs, and prepare reports.
3. Strong interpersonal skills in order to communicate with patients and hospital personnel.
4. Must be able to push/pull objects weighing less than 20 lbs.
5. A high level of interpersonal, verbal and teamwork skills to effectively work as a team member in support of all services delivered and to effectively communicate with physicians, patients, their families and other hospital personnel to address customer needs.
6. Ability to change job-related work practices/priorities/procedures and reschedule activities in response to change work conditions.
7. Ability to work productively and effectively in a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and deal with stresses associated with patient care environment.
Job: Obstetric/Women Wing/Labor & Delivery
Primary Location: Commerce Township, Michigan
Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Days
If Other Shift, Specify: variable hours
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005040453
About DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.