Florida Hospital Orlando seeks to hire a Medical Laboratory Technologist who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Florida Hospital Orlando Facility Profile
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,107-bed Florida Hospital Orlando, serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America. Florida Hospital Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country. We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year.
Florida Hospital Orlando is seeking a Clinical Laboratory Scientist for the Diagnostic Hematology Laboratory. This position will be performing testing to help diagnosis patients with leukemia and lymphoma. With 1,107 beds, Florida Hospital Orlando is the flagship hospital of the Florida Hospital System. Florida Hospital Orlando serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America. If you are interested in assisting our advanced hematology laboratory, this is the position for you!
In this position, you will:
- Assist on bone marrow procedures
- Perform bone marrow differentials and other high complexity testing
- Learn to perform flow cytometry testing used to help diagnosis leukemias and lymphomas
- Work closely with the hematopathologists
- Perform stem cell testing
- Become a resource to the physicians and other members of the health care team about testing and the requirements for hematopathology
- Full Time – Evenings
- 2:30 pm – 11:00 pm
- Monday – Friday (days/hours may vary)
As a Medical Technologist you will make providing service your priority while caring for the whole person in a faith-based atmosphere.
The Medical Laboratory Technologists performs various laboratory testing procedures in assigned areas as licensed. Work customarily involves analytical testing of blood and/or other human biological specimens. Depending on campus and department, various pre-and post-analytical work processes are including in the work duties customarily performed; on-call hours may also be required. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience Required
- Technical skills and aptitudes related to the laboratory testing, procedures and processes performed in department or work area assigned.
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written English with patients, staff, partners and customers of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective, and professional manner.
- Ability to read text and numbers in English, and to comprehend, measure, reason, match, and problem solve under supervision. Ability to apply accurately learned computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within Florida Hospital guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Science or an equivalent term, (preferred) OR
- Four years post secondary education with a concentration in the aforementioned subject matters, Chemical Science or Biologic Science or Healthcare-related field (Preferred)
- One year analytical, technical experience in Clinical Laboratory setting, (preferred) OR
- Completion of a clinical internship in Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent program (preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required
- Licensed by State of Florida at Clinical Laboratory Technologist level in appropriate specialties (Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Serology/Immunology, Microbiology, Immunohematology/Blood Banking, and/or Molecular Pathology) for the department or campus assignment
- Nationally certified as Medical Laboratory Scientist/Technologist, or equivalent term (preferred)
- Licensed by State of Florida as Clinical Laboratory Technologist level in assigned department specialties, or all 6 areas (Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Serology/Immunology, Microbiology, Immunohematology/Blood Banking, Molecular Pathology). (preferred)
- Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, clerical and/or receptionist duties. Continually maintains workspaces in a neat, organized, and properly supplied; properly stores and safeguards documentation and paperwork.
- Performs assigned pre-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, which may include general and analytical equipment maintenance, function checks and documentation; inventory control and supply stocking; specimen collection; biological specimen processing; cleaning and disinfection of selected or assigned laboratory equipment and spaces; quality control and calibration performance; and other pre-analytical activities.
- Performs all expected tests and analytical procedures for assigned department or work area efficiently and accurately, according to Florida Hospital procedures, performance standards, and departmental competency standards. Participates in proficiency testing, consistently adhering to federal and state regulations as well as Florida Hospital policies.
- Performs post-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, reporting results (including highly abnormal results) in accordance with Florida Hospital procedures. Provides and acts on technical and support information related to the elements of laboratory testing for all age groups, neonatal through geriatric patients.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to technicians and support staff, resolution to customer service issues within guidelines, and support education to clinical staff as appropriate or requested. Facilitates workflow when necessary.
- Participates in, and has knowledge of, laboratory and hospital Performance Improvement activities, including evaluation of new equipment and/or procedures or methods.
- Adheres to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies; protects confidentiality of patient information and results at all times.
- Follows appropriate safety policies including the appropriate use of PPE, handwashing, and hazardous chemical handling. Demonstrates understanding and adheres to Chemical Hygiene plan and Infection Control policies. Employee job duties may include transport of hazardous waste from the point of generation to a designated secure storage area; employee will be required to complete initial training (prior to handling hazardous waste) and refresher training to include proper handling and transport of hazardous waste, and proper selection, use and disposal of personal protective equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the department or work area.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!!
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Medical Lab Technologist opportunity with Florida Hospital Orlando and apply online today.